Saturday 9 June 2007

Pink and White Delight!

Pink and White Delight!


Many Stewardesses around the world like to earn a little extra on the side. If you are working a full time roster, your days off become very precious. If on the other hand, you’ve got a standby block coming up, those days can seem a little dull, and if they don’t need you then your pay is down, because you haven’t flown. A couple of years a go, we decided that we would pad out our wages, and have a chuckle, by joining a promotions company in our city. Julie joined first and because she is good looking, she was asked to do some really nice stuff. With her background being in modeling, she was ideal for events like the opening of posh shops, corporate things, perfume demonstrations, sales pushes for expensive alcohol, stuff like that. She did a party for a mega famous leather goods manufacturer ( we’ve got loads of fake stuff by them) and she was really well paid! Once she did a promotion for the new high speed train service, a welcome event at the station for the press. Another time she had to go in a coach with other girls to a race track, and have photos taken round a car which would be won in a prize draw. You get the type of thing.

Well, I was so impressed, I put my name down too! Our very first job together was hilarious, probably one of the most insanely funny tales of our friendship. We had a call late one afternoon from the company, asking us to be Bunny Girls the next day, and as it was short notice, offering us £75 quid each to do it. We would be dressed up as Bunny Girls for two hours, offer a snack product round at a launch, mingle, give out vouchers, photos taken, easy stuff! We asked about the outfits, and the guy on the phone said they were pink Bunny Girl costumes with fluffy white tails. Jue asked if they had ears and would fit us and he said they would. We rang round quick, got appointments to have our hair blow dried, and both rushed down to Tanfastic for spray-ons before they closed at six. We spent the evening painting our nails baby pink, and deciding to put the money we would earn towards a hol. Jue suddenly wondered if we should get fishnets to go with the costumes, because that’s traditional at the Play Boy mansion. The next morning she dashed down to a dance suppliers near us and came back with the sort with seams down the back of the leg. We were really giggly, neither of us had ever dressed up as Play Boy Bunnies before, and before we set off to the hair salon, we had a couple of glasses of wine to start the party. £75 quid for fornicate around and flirting for two hours looking gorgeous! Top Result!

We both wore simple dresses, because Julie reckoned that tight clothing can leave marks on the skin for hours, and if the costumes were skimpy it would show. We applied false eyelashes. We did our best make-up. We both also wore high heel black suede shoes to match our fishnets, and I just hoped the sexy outfit wouldn’t show my arse too much. When we got to the event at the Trafford Centre, we were shown to a changing room behind the stage in the huge food court there, called The Orient. We wondered if we would be going on the stage, or have to parade round the small swimming pool, just like we’d seen models do on the cat walk shows we’d often seen while tucking in to our grub on a shopping day. We were nervous! There were thousands of people milling around or dining. But we were all abuzz and giddy, it was going to be great! There was no sign of our Bunny Girl outfits in the changing area though, and a lady came in and said they were being brought from the van, and it meant we only had fifteen minutes before we were due out in front of everyone. We dolled up our make-up, perfected our hair and stripped down ready to squeeze them on. I was excited, baby pink satin with fluffy tails! We were going to look fab!

There was a commotion at the curtain, and as we stood up straight to receive our costumes, the fabric bulged inwards, and the lady’s face appeared round, and said “One at a time Girls, there isn’t room for two of you to dress in there.” With that and a struggle, she bundled an enormous pink and white fur fabric rabbit costume in to us, and a massive, monstrous cartoon rabbit’s head accompanying it, with a mesh grill under the chin for us to see out of. Neither of us spoke. After five seconds of us staring at her, Jue said “ Ermmm, we were told we would be Bunny Girls today.” She just looked at us oddly and said “This is a bunny, and you’d better hurry up, you’re out in five minutes!”

Well, I started to laugh Readers. I laughed, and laughed and laughed as Julie attempted to get in to it. The feet were huge, and it had hoops inside so the belly really stuck out. It was the colour of candyfloss, had a white furry chest and massive paws, and the tail on the back was about a foot across. It also smelt really moth bally. I was creased up, and when she put the head on, I pissed even more. It was about eight foot tall with the ears. It had a manic grin, two massive buckteeth, and through the mesh, I could just make out her eyes, and her voice was really muffled. I was nearly wetting myself, and I could hear her through the grill, laughing and saying “fornicate hell Lizzy! It stinks like a litter tray in here!” Well, I couldn’t wait to get mine on, and she had to step out of the cubicle to give me room. She said “Jesus, Liz, we shoulda worn trainers! I can’t keep my shoes on inside the feet!” Readers, it was hilarious! Once mine was on, I couldn’t see or hear a bloody thing! I just had a tiny bit of vision, it did stink, and the head was really heavy. As I shuffled through the curtain, I had to kick my feet up, because when I tried to look down to see where I was stepping with my three foot long feet, the head fell forward and I couldn’t see at all.

We were guided out, and they lifted our massive pink paws and put trays on them with loads of biscuits on for people to try. The biscuits were those marshmallow pink and white things sprinkled with coconut and we were to walk round the shopping center giving them out with vouchers for 50p off. Off we set, me cracked up inside the costume, struggling to hang on to my tray and we’d only gone ten paces before Jue fell over and the mallows went everywhere. Readers, I was inside that costume, in a hysterical world of my own, watching Jue being pulled up on to her giant feet again, and been spoken to sternly by the promoters. I was absolutely pissing myself, and best of all, I knew Jue was inside hers, doing exactly the same thing.

Well, it was a total side-splitting disaster. It took us ages to go about fifty paces, little kids were coming up to us all big eyed and in awe, and a couple of times we made babies cry, as their parents cooed, “Look at the bunny!” As we tried to lean down to give toddlers samples, the biscuits would slide off the tray, and I could hear Jue shout “Ooooo, me biscuits!!!” as they fell off and she trampled them with her giant feet. There was marshmallow stuck to her fur feet and all over the marble floor tiles. I could do nothing for laughing, my massive head nodded backwards and forwards as my shoulders shook, and the tears rolled down my cheeks. Tears that I couldn’t wipe away and which made my vision worse. People were taking pictures with mobile phones, and some of those pictures may now be famous on websites somewhere, as Jue was snapped falling over again by a Millies Cookies barrow. It was impossible Readers, to walk in stiletto heels inside the feet, and after about twenty minutes, in which time we’d only gone a hundred yards, the heat became unbearable, I felt like I could faint. We were trying to converse with each other, still laughing but also getting stressed at being so hot. I could hear Julie all muffled shouting “What???? Yeah, dead HOT!!!!” and the promoter came over with replenished trays and said “Keep going Girls, ten more minutes and you can stop for a breather.” He pushed the trays on to our paws, turned us by the shoulders and with a little shove, sent us on our way. We both staggered onwards towards the up escalator, but at the bottom I realised we couldn’t possibly get on it, even if we stood sideways our feet were to big for the treads. We tried to back peddle, and this time it was me that lost my balance and nearly went down. We made a bottle neck as we tried to turn, bellies bumping, and loads of people in the crowd were hooting with laughter. My head had fallen forward totally obscuring my vision, and I felt plundering hands on my tray. A gang of chavs in sports wear pinched all our biscuits, and ran off delighted, and laughing that nasty teenage laugh as they belted up the metal steps. All through it, I could hear Jue calling “Liz! Lizzy!!! The biscuits!!!!! Quick!!!”

We shuffled our way back to the stand and said we were finished. We weren’t laughing by that stage, that is for sure. Sweat was running down our backs, my fishnets felt soaking, and my hair, that I’d paid £18 quid to have blow dried at Tony and Guy not two hours previous, was stuck in a dripping mess to my head. Jue pulled her head off, and I pissed again at the state of her. She was balloon red with panda eyes, her hair was in strings and she had a false eyelash stuck to her cheek. I was exactly the same except for the eye lash, but ohhhh, the coolness of the air was a wonderful relief. Inside, the necks of our costumes were covered in fake tan, and as the promoters pushed us back to the dressing area, they were none too happy. We weren’t bothered, it had been hilarious but we’d had enough, no way could someone do two hours of that. They were going to refuse to pay us, but in the end they gave us twenty quid each, which, when you consider the laugh we’d had, wasn’t too bad a deal. We left that shopping center looking horrific, me with my hair all mad and bendy, but still we giggled all the way home. Over the following days, we recounted the experience to each other many times, and it still made us roar with laughter.

Now, whenever we go to the match, the sight of the Mascot just tickles us. At Disney, we sympathized with Mickey Mouse, and told him of our fun, and he said that they could only wear the suit for 15 minutes because of the heat. It was there that we saw two of the Seven Dwarves break up a fight between some Puerto Rican lads, and that was hilarious too. We think it was Grumpy and Dopey. We were also offered the chance to promote fresh produce at a supermarket, me as a banana and Jue as a tomato, but after the bunnies how could we? That was once in a lifetime, and we just wish we had a video to re-live it.

1 comment:

hackpacker said...

Hello!
Thanks for dropping by my blog and commenting.
Let me know more news on your upcoming project as it seems that all the good flight attendant gossip is disappearing from the web.
Cheers